[TowerTalk] Turned reflector?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 16 16:44:21 EDT 2012

On 9/16/12 1:39 PM, Steve Hunt wrote:
> I just tried it on an EZNEC model of a 5-el Yagi.
>
> The Forward Gain dropped by 0.3dB. The rearward pattern was badly
> affected: all the nulls were "filled in" as Jim suggested, and rearward
> lobes were typically 8dB higher.

the more elements in your design, the more likely it is you have what's
called a superdirective array (gain greater than 10log10(N)). In
superdirective arrays, the design is more about suppressing side/back
lobes than optimizing forward gain. As a result, they tend to be more
picky about element currents, so small changes have big effects..