[TowerTalk] Direct-bury rotoator cable?

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Sep 21 23:55:24 EDT 2012

On 9/21/2012 2:36 PM, John Harper wrote:
> There are several brands of direct-bury coaxial cable - does anyone know of a similar type of rotator cable? Having one w/o the availability of the other would defeat the purpose for my planned installation.

Unless you have some unusual soil, or stony soil that goes through
freeze thaw cycles most "name brand" rotator cables can be buried.  Code
requires that most power cables including 110 be buried under the front
line (they specify how deep) and you lay a 2 X 4 (in most areas) in the
trench over the wires which is a good idea for any direct buried cable.

The idea is to protect non direct bury cable from being punctured be it
from the weight of something passing over, or from stones in the freeze
thaw cycle.

If the soil is stony it's a good idea to put the cables in conduit even
if they are direct bury.

73

Roger (K8RI)