[TowerTalk] FW: 5000 psi vs 3500 psi concrete?

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Tue Sep 25 01:41:16 EDT 2012

I suspect that the use of 5,000 psi versus the more typical 3,500 psi
concrete wouldn't have a huge effect on the reliability of the final
installation for such a large foundation, but it's a risk not to follow
the design specs.  The biggest jeopardy might be if your building permit
includes the original specs and the building inspector decides to get
picky enough to ask to see the invoice for the concrete.  I'm not sure
there is enough difference in cost to offset the potential hassle with
the inspection ... there is indeed a higher percentage of Portland
cement in the higher mix but I believe that some of the higher strength
comes from simply having less water in the mix (and that doesn't cost
anything extra in terms of materials).

On the other hand, I fully agree with Matt that 5,000 psi is going to be
a stiffer mix and you'd want to make sure it is thoroughly rodded to
make sure it flows everywhere and minimizes voids that would counter the
purpose of using stronger concrete in the first place.  Even with an
electrical vibrator it's tough to keep ahead of the pour when you're
dumping close to two truck loads of concrete into the hole.

73 es good luck,
Dave   AB7E