[TowerTalk] Winch needed

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Sep 30 00:27:00 EDT 2012

On 9/30/2012 12:07 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> An anchor windless with a capstan would do the job, but only 12v/24v.
> Here is one with 27amp needed so a small switching supply might work
> especially if you added a small battery to handle any high surge
> currents.  Of course capstans only pull when the bitter end of the line
> is manually tailed/tensioned.
>
> http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=440775&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&APPARELCOLOR=&storeNum=50304&subdeptNum=50335&classNum=50336#.UGe_QiKcC7w

It takes very little training for some one to use a capstan, BUT they
need to have a deep knowledge of what is needed when raising and lower
parts on a tower.
> A spool windless that could
>
> "take up to several hundred feet of 1/4" steel cable or 7/16ths
> double braided poly rope"
>
> is also known as a boom winch.   Most are hydraulic motor driven.  For serious rigging supplies, see Boats & Harbors ("yellow sheet") online athttp://www.boats-and-harbors.com/
>
> I've not seen an vehicle electric winch by Ramsey or others that could spool that much cable.
>
> Otherwise, the McMaster 120v choices look like they are lift rated if you can stand the price tag.

Most of the winches I've seen on trucks could handle that much 5/16" or
7/16" double braided poly rope.  It's surprising how much you can get on
one of those. OTOH you probably couldn't get a 1/4 that much of wire
rope on it.

Weight is the major problem for me. I could even use one of the truck
winches, except for the weight of the battery. I also do not like the
idea of a lead acid battery in that environment. Drop a 40-50# mast 60
feet and there'd be acid all over the place.

73

Roger (K8RI)