[TowerTalk] Vertical comparison question

Dan Schaaf dan-schaaf at att.net
Sat Apr 6 07:26:16 EDT 2013

For what it's worth :

I designed and built a multiband tower vertical for 40, 60, 80 and 160. Last
night I worked VK9CZ Cocos Keeling, 11,000 miles on 40 CW.

It is 1/2 wavelength on 40,
1/4 wave on 60, 80 and 160

I use a matching network at the base for 40 and another for 160.
It has a 60 meter trap.

Total height is 59 ft. The trap inductance adds length for 80.

It is an insulated base tower.

I have a good 50 ohm match at the base due to the matching networks.

These networks are remotely switched from the shack.

But I will say that my HyGain AV-640 works like a charm. It does not have
traps. It has loading coils with capacity hats above each coil. And a few
stubs on the side for some other bands. The advantage of the 640 is that it
is a 3/8 wave vertical which gives a lower angle of radiation than a 1/4
wave vertical.
3/8 wave and 1/2 wave give pretty good low angle radiation. Then more than
1/2 wave you start to get some other lobes, as I have been told.

Best Regards
Dan Schaaf
K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
60 Meters www.60metersonline.net