[TowerTalk] Rotor Issue/Question

Crownhaven crownhaven at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 7 16:10:41 EDT 2013

I recently had a failure of my T2X.  It would stick on a particular NE
heading.  I pulled it down yesterday and found........

The ring gear teeth were sheared off underneath where it has
the protruding section that will actuate the limit switch arm
& continued CW from there.
Was it just a coincidence that it happened in that area or do
the teeth just happen to be weaker there for some reason?
For those that have lost ring gear teeth, has that been a common
area where it happened?  This corresponded to the heading of NE.

Have the same question into Norm's Rotor Service.  I'm prepared to replace
the ring gear but curious as to why this happened the way it did.  An
inspection of the rotor revealed no other apparent issues.

Steve, N4JQQ, Memphis, TN