[TowerTalk] Stub mast strengthening

Gene Fuller w2lu at rochester.rr.com
Tue Apr 16 12:40:24 EDT 2013

Hi Steve -

I am successfully using that type of construction on elements in my Log
Periodic. I have as many as 3 or 4 layer of tubing and as a quick "swag" at
strength I just added the resistance to bending moment of each additional
layer. The longest elements I have are about 46 feet. I designed it for 100
mph wind with 1/4" of ice. It's been up for about 12 years, with wind of at
least 85 mph with no problems. Two primary factors led me to this design -
First of all, I had lots of old tubing that fit the need. Second,  I was
able to get to the desired mending moment resistance and keep the max O.D.
down to 1 5/8",  thus keeping the wind resistance and area for ice
accumulation to a minimum.
Bottom line - I would vote in favor of using the insert if you think you
need the extra strength.
Gene / W2LU