[TowerTalk] Please Help Me Decide on a Tribander or Monobanders

Bill Ogden ogden at us.ibm.com
Fri Apr 19 11:23:23 EDT 2013

The odds are strong that any antenna will require some maintenance at some
point. The OP did not say whether he has a "crank over" tower. A crank
down, crank over tower with an antenna mounted just above the tower
GREATLY simplifies maintenance work.  With my 3-el SteppIR it can be done
from a small stepladder.  Unlike some of us, I am getting older; a few
years ago I finally realized this and took it into consideration in buying
the crank down, crank over tower.

I suggest that you not get too involved in the odd 1db of gain. Side lobes
and front-to-back may be more important.

Also, is wind a potential problem? An extra 15' of lever arm at the top of
the tower (with a lot of wind area mounted on it) may need considerable
thought.

Bill - W2WO