[TowerTalk] Please Help Me Decide on a Tribander or Monobanders

Ian White gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Sat Apr 20 04:11:48 EDT 2013

>> Funny part is a lot if these critics never even owned a SteppIR.....
>>>
>That's because most of us have friends that do ...
>
>Dave   AB7E

A fair point :-)

But it's also fair to ask: "How long ago did your friends have problems,
and which SteppIR antenna was that?"

SteppIR have made many improvements in product quality over the past 12
years, so a mature product like the 3 element 20-10m Yagi is objectively
a better antenna today than it was back in 2001. (This comes from direct
personal comparison. A friend very kindly lent us his old 3-element to
try, and then we bought a current production model. The fiberglass
tubing is now of much better quality, the motor housings have been
redesigned and the SDA-100 controller is completely new.)

More recent SteppIR designs will include those same improvements, of
course. But on the other side of the argument, the newer designs with
longer and folded-back elements are also pushing the technology harder,
so their long-term reliability needs to be judged in a separate category
from SteppIR's simpler, more mature products.

73 from Ian GM3SEK