[TowerTalk] HFTA Angles Data

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Aug 1 16:42:51 EDT 2013

On 8/1/2013 12:33 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

> If I remember correctly, Dean Straw said that the ARRL crunched the
> numbers back in the mid-90's using a computer that took a few days,
> but I'm not sure it really matters.  We're talking optimum
> takeoff/arrival angles here, and I'm not sure that angle is a strong
> function of F-layer densities.  It would be pretty easy to check ...
> just run a few paths in VOACAP for the same hour of the day using two
> different SSNs and compare the TANGLE results for various
> frequencies.

Although layer height varies, these layers are relatively thick.  The
effective height of a layer at a given height varies with density which
is why we talk about refraction instead of reflections.

So antenna optimum antenna height does change withe the effective height
of the layer(s)

73

Roger (K8RI)