[TowerTalk] Crankup Danger

Steve Dyer w1srd at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 1 20:56:52 EDT 2013

And one of the many reasons why Chris' product http://www.kf7p.com/KF7P/SafetyStand.html is such a great idea for safely working on a crank-up.
73,
Steve
W1SRD

________________________________
 From: EZ Rhino <EZRhino at fastmovers.biz>
To: Steve Dyer <w1srd at yahoo.com>
Cc: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g at windstream.net>; "towertalk at contesting.com" <towertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 1, 2013 5:01 PM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crankup Danger

This is one big aggravation I have with USTowers and some other Mfg's...the lack of any stop blocks to support the moving sections.   My LM470 has stop blocks at the top of some of the sections (where you can't see them) but the tower sections don't really rest on them when it is lowered.  There isn't any strength issue with climbing the tower per se, (it's not going to suddenly fall over with your weight on it),  it's the issue with the tower sections moving (falling) and you losing fingers/toes.  A good friend of mine, whose call sign will remain unstated, was climbing his HG52SS which he thought was fully nested.  Well, it wasn't.  Somehow one or both of the inner sections were hung up and came down on his foot.  Made a mess of his toes and he was lucky that he didn't lose them.  He still has the shoe as a reminder.

So the danger issue(s) are:  1) tower section movement, and 2) the same issue as working on any tower...the height above ground factor.  Don't EVER climb a crank up if it is extended.  The lay-over fixtures are great, although very involved to do (lots of unbolting) and takes a lot of effort/cranking.

Chris
KF7P