[TowerTalk] Crankup tower safety question... (Crankup Danger!)

Mike noddy1211 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 1 21:10:09 EDT 2013

I have been around a long time and had a few crank up towers, I have never
had one come down or known anyone to have one collapse.  There is a huge
safety factor built in with the cables.  If it is looked after and inspected
on a regular basis why would the cable snap?

The trouble with a locking mechanism as you suggest would be also prone to
failure and maybe in a more dramatic way, I am sure you would be pretty
unhappy if a 100mph wind blew up and the solenoids controlling the locking
mechanism failed because of a power failure or other reasons and your tower
blew over on someone's house!  I have seen plenty of solenoid systems fail
from weather etc. because they were locked in place and never exercised.

The more simple you keep a winching system the easier it will be to maintain
and less to go wrong.

When you erected a crank up tower you also inherit a responsibility to
maintain it which includes inspecting and lubricating the cables, maybe you
do know of crank up towers cables that have failed, but I bet it was due to
deferred maintenance and not because the cable just snapped.

Mike/K6BR