[TowerTalk] Crankup tower safety question... (Crankup

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sat Aug 3 00:10:07 EDT 2013

My thinking about locks - every item has a failure mode and locks are no
exception.  What if the lock won't disengage or worse snags with the
tower up or partially down?  How does one safely disengage the lock with
the tower weight on it and perhaps the pull down cable also tensioned?
Would you climb that tower?  Rent a bucket truck or boom lift and work
under the antennas that could come down on you? (boom lifts go to over
100' so removing all antennas first is probably an answer).

It seems to me that locks create another complex set of trade-offs. Well
maintained cables and winches are one answer, but stuff happens even
then.  Maybe a simple redundant or "safety" cable would be a better
alternative.  Then one more item to maintain and fail.  An inertial lock
like safety belts if the tower descends to fast? (loop to the above issues).

OTOH, I think Luso and I know Will-Burt make locking mechanisms for
their towers and tallest pneumatic masts, respectively.  Anyone know how
they work?  How you get the tower/mast down if a lock fails?

Grant KZ1W
I own 4 crank ups & 2 Will-Burt masts