[TowerTalk] Remote Ham Radio

davidrobbins davidrobbins at ieee.org
Sat Aug 3 11:29:23 EDT 2013

"We are not talking about profit in ham radio, we are talking about profit
from using your station We are talking about hams, or a group of hams making
money from their licensed station, not from selling their station or
equipment.
When you sell the station,and a ham puts it on the air it receives a license
which is to a physical location."

Ummm, not recently, at least not in the U.S.... while U.S. licenses have
mailing addresses, they no longer identify a fixed station location.  You
can in fact have several stations to your name and operate at any of them,
or mobile anywhere in the country, or remotely from anywhere without having
to notify the fcc of where you are at any particular time.  There is
actually nothing that would prevent a non-ham from installing a station and
renting it out to hams from anywhere, it would be up to the ham to properly
operate the station, be it from sitting in the room with the radios or using
a long mic cord from anywhere else.  With our current rules a station is
nothing but a pile of hardware until someone with a license keys it up and
identifies it on the air.