[TowerTalk] Question for common mode choke balun experts.

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Sat Aug 10 10:34:35 EDT 2013

You need to remember that there is a large resistive component in the
choke impedance, so you'll not see "High-Q" effects.

I just checked four turns of RG213 on four stacked FT240-31 cores; there
was a broad peak in impedance between 13MHz and 27MHz, at just over
3000Ohms.

Then I added an 8.2pF capacitor in parallel; the peak dropped to 5MHz,
but it was still pretty broad and the peak impedance had actually
dropped to about 2000 Ohms.

Hope that helps,
Steve G3TXQ