[TowerTalk] Roof tower Glen Martin RT-1832 installation

Robert West bobsbin at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 11 00:22:34 EDT 2013

I'm about to install my RT-1832. My attic space is tight because it is a web truss type roof support. The roof slope is low because there is no snow here. I am adding the required 2x6 or 2x8, 8' long attic reinforcing beams.
Can I use screws instead of bolts to mount the tower legs to the 2x8 attic support? It will be very difficult to tighten nuts in the attic.
Any tips for aligning the mounting holes? I was thinking of using long nails through the roof to mark the tower feet mounting holes before installing the attic beams so I can make sure they are centered. I was going to use the lower tower section to mark the feet mounting locations by checking for level and then using nails to mark locations.
I might follow advice of another tower talk member and use a 32' extension ladder extended to maybe 22' and use it as a gin pole lashed to the lower tower section and hoist the top section onto the bottom. I would pre-mount the rotor and mast. Then the same ladder could be used hoist the beam antenna.Bob