[TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x7' hole in sandy soil

Steve Jones n6sj at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 13 20:25:29 EDT 2013

If your soil is so sandy that your excavation will cave in, you may not be able to use the US Tower foundation design.  Sandy soil might need a mat foundation or an upside-down "T" design.

The US Tower foundation design is for "normal soils" which is defined in the EIA/TIA-222F or G design standard they used.  Normal soil has a minimum compressive strength in psi which sand doesn't meet.  You probably should talk to a local structural or civil engineer about how you may need to modify the foundation design.

73,

Steve
N6SJ