[TowerTalk] Never Free Climb

Tom Osborne w7why at frontier.com
Wed Aug 14 21:47:57 EDT 2013

Roger said:

>Harnesses were found "after the fact"

>If a friend or partner fell, what's the first thing you'd likely do at
>getting down?

Hi Roger

That is a very good question.

I've taken a lot of first aid classes (we used to have to renew our First
Aid card every 2 years), and one of the things they taught us was that if
someone is injured bad, don't move them.  I don't think moving someone
around to get a harness off would be a good idea.  Even if they snap from
the front, how are  you going to get it out from under them and move it?

I'd imagine if the first responders got there in time, stabilizing the guy
would be first priority.  If someone is hurt bad, moving them might be the
worst thing you could do.  What if they have broken bones?  I'm sure this
guy was probably gone before they got there if he fell from 200 feet.

I notice in a football game, if someone gets badly injured, the first thing
they do is stabilize them.  They don't even take the helmet off or anything
if the injury is bad and they are not concious.

My tower is only about 30 feet, but I never go up it without being secured.
Even at that height I get nervous.  73
Tom W7WHY