[TowerTalk] FW: Digging a 5'x5'x7' hole in sandy soil

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu Aug 15 12:07:56 EDT 2013

I have some property in the high desert north of Los Angeles that is
nothing but sand. When I was getting prepared to take delivery of a 40ft
storage container, a concrete contractor who did some work for me
recommended that I have the sand packed before bringing an 18 wheeler on
to the property. The guy who did that work for me was a soil engineer
who mentioned having just done a hole for a customer's crank-up tower.
Surface packing to accept a heavy vehicle is pretty straightforward. You
wet down the area to be packed for a day with sprinklers and then come
in with a heavy tractor and roll back and forth over the wet sand
repeatedly to pack it. For building or tower foundations, Sal described
the procedure, but I forget the specific details.

73, Mike W4EF..........