[TowerTalk] FIRST TOWER -- SHOULD I USE A LIGHTNING ROD?

Wayne Willenberg wewill747 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 16:49:05 EDT 2013

I am now in the process of learning about grounding my new (and first)
crank-up tower to minimize lightning damage.

In reading “Up the Tower” by K7LXC, I noticed Steve suggested adding a
lightning rod 2’ above the top antenna (pg. 178) on the tower.  He further
suggested using a galvanized rod with a point at the top of the rod; and
the rod clamped to the mast.

Have others on the Reflector used this approach?  If so, how long and what
diameter should the rod be?  Should the lightning rod have its own
conductorthat goes from the rod to the ground system around the base
of the tower and ultimately to the single point of grounding at the
entrance to the shack?  If so, what type of flexible conductor should I use
given the tower is a crank-up?

Please don’t misunderstand my question.  The use of a lightning rod is only
one possible part of an elaborate system of 32 ground rods, 2” copper
strips that are exothermically welded to all of the ground rods and finally
connected to the ground system for my equipment and the utility company
ground. (The “soil” around my tower is very sandy, so I want to do
everything I can to minimize the effects of a lightning strike that is all
too common here in the southeast part of the country.)

Since this is my first tower, when I started this project, I
foolishlythought it would be a fairly simple job.  How wrong I was!

Thanks for your help.