[TowerTalk] Rohn 45AG4 guy tabs?

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Aug 17 16:49:37 EDT 2013

On 8/17/2013 3:41 PM, Jay Kesterson wrote:
> Thanks for the input. FWIW I was trying to raise the top set of guys
> to get a bit more clearance for a yagi that will be on a ring down the
> tower. Also my mast is very tall and it seemed a good idea to guy at
> the top to reduce the leverage of the mast on the top of the tower.
>
> The good of guying to the top plate as I see it: My guys are
> Phillystran with open spelter sockets. So I just have to take a cotter
> key out of the pin in the end of the socket and I can instantly attach
> the guys to the top plate. It will mostly be a Christmas tree of V/UHF
> yagis. The bottom yagi (6m) will be 5 feet above the tower to keep
> away from the big metal top plate of the 45AG4. So the guys won't
> really won't be in the way very much. If I guyed lower I didn't plan
> on running the coax through the holes as I have five coax cables and
> the LMR-600-UF connectors, used at UHF, won't even fit through the
> holes. There is another set of guys 24 feet down the tower so I can
> remove the top set if necessary for antenna work.

You mention 600 UF.  I've used a fair amount of it and found very poor
life with the stuff.  Poor resistance to UV and easily abraded if it
rubs against something like the tower top in a rotator loop.

I had 5 runs through a rotator loop that laid on top of a 45G top
plate.  After 6 years (give or take a tad) the shield was showing
through several of the runs.

I figured I'd make jumpers for the station with the one piece that
looked good.

I'd made several jumpers when I cut a third to length,  It looked like a
gray powder around the cut, so I stripped the jacket back a ways.  The
foil was almost completely gone, but I could find no holes in the
jacket.  It had to have worn down to the point of being porous because
this was a piece from the middle of a run and the ends were good so the
water didn't come in from the connectors.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)