[TowerTalk] Penetrox/Noalox vs. Anti-seize compound

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Aug 20 17:24:44 EDT 2013

One product is an anti-oxidant for electrical connections and one is to
prevent hardware galling.  Personally I would redo this before you install
the antenna.

To:TowerTalk at contesting.com
Subject:[TowerTalk] Penetrox/Noalox vs. Anti-seize compound
From:"Gavin J. Roberts" <robertsmg at aol.com>
Date:Mon, 19 Aug 2013 19:49:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, all:

I spent a good part of this last weekend assembling a Mosley 4 element beam
from new.  Mosley supplies a small quantity of Penetrox with the antenna and
encourages its liberal application during assembly.  I exhausted the limited
amount supplied and wanted to finish putting things together, so I headed
for
the local hardware store which carried an anti-seize compound called
Permatex.
As far as I know, this compound does not contain any particles to promote
conductivity between the joints, but rather is more of a petroleum jelly
based
lubricant.  Realizing this fact after finishing assembly, I ordered some
additional Penetrox this morning from DX Engineering (they carry both
Penetrox
as well as Permatex).  When I asked their technical support staff whether it
would be wise to re-do the" Permatex-ed" joints with Penetrox before raising
the beam, he seemed to feel that it would not be worth the trouble to
substitute a more conductive material for the less conductive one.  His r
 easoning was that enough bare aluminum-to-aluminum surface area would
remain
that the use of the Permatex was very unlikely to negatively effect antenna
performance.  Anyone have an opinion on this?  Should I re-do the joints in
question while the antenna is still on the ground?  Or would this be a
needless
exercise at this point?

Thanks and 73 de

Gavin W9YE