[TowerTalk] Hy-Gain HG-70 HD tower

Big Don bigdon39 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 10:03:23 EDT 2013

We picked-up an at-least-third-hand Tri-Ex 3-54 crankup with a bad sheave
in 1975. Airplanes use a lot of sheaves/cables for control systems. Took
the old sheave to local airport repair business where they had a bin full
of used sheaves, many sizes, and picked out one for a couple bucks that was
a close enough fit...probably came out of a DC-3 or Cessna, something like
that, was much better quality than the original. Likely wouldn't want to
pay new prices but aviation rules require decommissioning a lot of
perfectly good stuff after so-many flight hours. That same tower is still
up today, used over the years with 2-el HFquad, VHF, WX stn and various
antenna experiments.

Depending on your level of desperation, of course...

Don  N7EF