[TowerTalk] Towable towers available from the government

Jon Pearl - W4ABC jonpearl at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Aug 30 18:29:03 EDT 2013

...and here's the *answer* that I received, today:

August 30, 2013

Thank you for letting me know of your concerns regarding the way in
which the Department of Defense (DOD) disposes of certain surplus assets
by auctioning them to the public. As the Chairman of the Appropriations
Subcommittee on National Defense, you can be sure that I share your
interest in this regard and appreciate knowing your thoughts.

The Defense Logistics Agency(DLA)Dispositions Services is charged with
disposing ofthe U.S. military'sexcess property. According to the DOD,
the excess property "is first offered for reutilization within the
Department of Defense , transfer to other federal agencies, or donation
to state and local governments andother qualified organizations." In
2008, $2.2 billion worth of property was reutilized.DLA Disposition
Services maintains a Law Enforcement Support Office (LESO)to coordinate
transfers to state, local, and federal; more than 11,500 agencies in all
50 states participate in this program. In 2011, over $500 million worth
of equipment was transferred to law enforcement agencies. Property that
has not been transferred or donated can be made available for purchase
by the public. Of course, assets with military characteristics must be
demilitarized prior to being made available to the public.

In an effort to be of all possible assistance to you, I have taken the
liberty of contacting Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel, to share with
him your thoughts. The Secretary has assured me that your views will be
given serious consideration. This is a matter under careful scrutiny by
the Congress and you can be sure that I will continue to monitor any new
developments that occur.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding this matter
of mutual concern. It is my hope that you will continue to keep me
apprised of your interest in legislative issues important to you.

With best wishes and personal regards, I am

Bill Young
Member of Congress