[TowerTalk] FW: More crank-up questions

Matt km5vi at flukey.cc
Sun Dec 1 13:38:03 EST 2013

You are correct Ken - the discussion is mostly academic, but an area of my
personal interest.

Matt
KM5VI

>>  I am curious.  All this talk about concrete strength, rebar, etc.   Is
anyone aware of a tower base failure due to strength of the concrete or lack
of rebar?  (Except for damage from a lightning strike.)  From what I hear,
the vast majority of tower failures are 20-30' above the base.  Base
failures? Are they really an issue?

>>  As I mentioned, 40 years ago, little was said about base concrete,
rebar, etc.   OTOH, 40 years ago, 60' was a big tower.  Maybe that's part of
the issue.