[TowerTalk] Rust & paint

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Mon Dec 2 09:11:35 EST 2013

My back porch is held up by 4x4 square steel tubing columns from the patio
below and 3x8 steel tubing lattice under the porch slab.  All this steel was
some rusty when installed.  I painted it all (with no primer) using
Rustoleum brand "Hammertone" paint which is designed to go on over light
rust without primer.  It was available in two colors, silver and black and I
chose black. Now over 8 years later the paint looks nearly new.  No rust,
just nice black paint.  I have used this paint on several projects since
with great success. I have used it in both quarts and aerosol spray cans.
The spray cans are offered at Lowe's in some other colors but the quarts are
only stocked in silver and black.  Special order for gallons or for other
colors in cans.

I put up a parking lot barrier of pipe in the ground vertically and
horizontal pipe connecting the verticals.  Painted the pipe with the green
tinted paint and years later it is good as new.

I have several quart cans of silver tinted as dark green as there was room
for pigment in the new full cans. It is a light metallic green, a little
aqua influence...  It works fine too.  I painted the custom base I welded up
for my Hy-Gain Hy-Tower vertical antenna on the roof of my all metal barn.
It was pretty rusty but not flakey. Going on two years and it looks fine.

I spray welded repairs to tractor implements with this paint and it works
well.

I also have experience with cold galvanize but for rusty steel I choose the
Rustoleum and don't have to clean off the light non-flakey rust first.  Of
course YMMV.

I used an earlier product by Rustoleum, a primer to go on over rust with
similar chemistry to the above described paint. I used it on keel bolts of a
32 ft sailboat. These were often immersed in salt water. Years later a
marine surveyor commented on how well preserved they were.

73,

Patrick AF5CK