[TowerTalk] Rust & paint

Mickey Baker fishflorida at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 10:21:03 EST 2013

You have several answers, but they don't seem to answer your question
directly.

>From Rustoleum's MSDS from the product,
http://www.rustoleum.com/MSDS/ENGLISH/3575402.PDF, it appears that it uses
tannic acid as a rust conversion compound.

This is safe for consumer use and does something different than a "cold
galvanizing" coating. It converts some of surface coat of rust (iron oxide)
to ferric tannate, a black and more stable compound than rust. Rustoleum
provides a wetting agent that should find all the flakes and cracks on the
surface, particularly if it is applied thickly with a brush rather than
sprayed.  It contains paint that, when it dries, keeps the ferric tannate
surface in place and provides a protective coat.

This is intended for surface rust only.

You might consider Ospho, a phosphoric acid based converter. It is a bit
more powerful, so it acts on deeper rust than the tannic acid solutions.
 It would also require another covering coat of paint, if you don't like
the mottled black that Ospho tends to leave behind.

The "cold galvanizing" compounds should generally not be used over active
(red) rust. Although it may successfully stop rust, it does not chemically
address the oxides that already exist on the surface of the metal, other
than fixing them in place. You should remove or convert the existing rust
before coating with cold galvanizing.

Hope this helps.

Mickey N4MB

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 8:14 AM, Mike Reublin NF4L <nf4l at comcast.net> wrote:

> Anybody got an opinion about Rustoleum Rust Reformer vs cold galvanizing?
> Would you use it with cold galvanizing, or alone?
>
> 73, Mike NF4L

Mickey Baker, N4MB
Fort Lauderdale, FL
*“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me,
and I will learn.” *Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.