[TowerTalk] A3W traps

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Mon Dec 2 14:55:33 EST 2013

I am looking to build a beam for the WARC bands to replace the wire
antennas I currently use on 10/18/24 Mhz.  I think I have sufficiency
learned my lesson in recent seemingly unending pile ups that the wire
antenna  have put me through. Even a rotatable dipole high up at 90 feet
should help out a bit better. I have many Cushcraft A3 traps collected
from past storm damaged antennas but I think conversion to the WARC
frequencies would be problematic.  I also have EX-14 traps but removing
turns may not be all that easy. I have even considered trying to short
out some turns but due to the aluminum sleeve construction measuring the
results may not be accurate. Since the traps appear to be a simple
series tuned circuit I have even considered putting them in series with
the center conductor on a long piece of RG-58 terminated in a dummy load
and hooking up my MFJ-259 analyzer to see where the bump occurs
believing that wherever the trap is resonant after modification there
should be some indication of it's presence.  But before I go through all
this steamboat engineering of perfecting some WARC traps perhaps some of
these are laying around for sale from a ham that had the A3W before
puting up a real WARC band antenna.

If you have any please let me know and I will get out a Pay Pal payment
or check to you.

Please let me know.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ