[TowerTalk] Shunt fed vs Inverted L and Vee

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Dec 3 12:55:07 EST 2013

On 12/3/2013 9:21 AM, Dennis W0JX wrote:
> I cannot imagine a better single element antenna for 160 that fits on my lot without guying. Your 90 foot tower might benefit by more top loading. I would get rid of the slant feed as it introduces some horizontal component. This antenna, in my opinion, is far better than an inverted L or an inverted V.

I can't comment on the loading method, but I strongly agree that the
tower is your best bet because it's taller, and will thus have the
greater radiation resistance. I'd say your best bang for the buck is to
add radials, reducing the ground losses. Quantity is more important than
length.  Antenna efficiency is limited by the voltage divider between
the Radiation resistance and the ground resistance. More radials reduce
the ground resistance.

As to the ground rod -- the only useful function it serves is lightning
protection. That's important, of course, but it doesn't make the antenna
work better.  The function of radials is to SHIELD the antenna from
lossy earth, and to carry return current for the antenna.

73, Jim K9YC