[TowerTalk] Change in SWR

Mike & Becca Krzystyniak k9mk at flash.net
Wed Dec 4 10:59:55 EST 2013

Hi Doug,

   I agree that Rick's proposal is probably the quickest way to determine
interaction.  Some many years past, we used to use this method to tune
parasitic elements on wire arrays by applying shorts, opens, and reactive
loads (bread slicer caps or inductors), to the coax there in the shack.
Today, a classic antenna tuner would work quite well to give you a wide
range of terminations that could be used to reflect that up to the parasitic
element feed, or in this case your wire antenna.

    You could also put an SWR bridge there in line with the wire antenna and
look at how much power is coupling to the wire and coming back into the
shack.  I dare not speculate the interaction to the array factor but it will
give you a clue as to what is talking to what, and there is probably a
termination that you could hang on the wire antenna feed line there in the
shack that would minimize the coupled effects.  Unfortunately it is
difficult to predict if this has a first order effect on your change in SWR,
or something else is dominant.  YMMV.   Good luck with it.

Mike K9MK