[TowerTalk] from towers to shack

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 8 23:22:18 EST 2013

On 12/8/13 6:51 PM, Steven H Sawyers (na0ia) wrote:
> Under ground is better for lightning protection. The feed lines and
> control lines, need to go to the base of the tower, through a lightning
> arrestor at the base of the tower), then to the shack. If they come off
> the tower high, then they are at a  portion of the whole lightning
> potential.

Yes, but... You'd have to bury pretty deep to get them totally "out of
the picture" with respect to a lightning strike. It's not like the soil
is a perfectly conducting ground plane of metal that is a perfect
shield.  I think as a practical matter, whatever transient suppression
you do at the entrance to the shack is going to be the same whether the
cables are laying on the ground, suspended 10 feet off the ground, or
buried a couple feet deep.

> Elevated lines of any kind are subject to deer with antlers snagging them.

Get em high enough and you worry about 8 tiny reindeer and a big sleigh
with a guy with a pipe..<grin>