[TowerTalk] from towers to shack

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Dec 9 00:08:41 EST 2013

> Consider a direct strike to the tower? The cables being above or
> below ground don't materially change the voltage waveform, at least
> as selection of the suppression devices are concerned: it's kilovolts
> you need to deal with.

Cables "tapped" to the tower are coming off a voltage gradient from
several hundred KV at the top of the tower to zero at ground (if the
tower is properly grounded).  At 10 feet on a 100 foot tower, one had
several 10s of KV .. not easily dealt with using simple devices.

> Conventional transient suppression techniques work for phone and
> power lines, which run above ground for miles.

Phone and power lines are not connected to lightning rods several
times the height of the lines.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV