[TowerTalk] from towers to shack

n0tt1 at juno.com n0tt1 at juno.com
Mon Dec 9 13:12:29 EST 2013

> Actually I´m afraid I will find some water or humidity inside the
> pipe and
> along the cables.

Jorge,

I had that problem with my underground pipe.  It is 200 ft long
and 4" dia.  I corrected that with a Tee connector at both ends of the
pipe
where it comes out of the ground.  I screened the Tee part
to keep out cable-chewing mice and bugs and the straight-thru
section was used for cables.  The screen is the kind that
has louvers to shed rain.

Having ventilation at both ends allows air to pass freely
from one end to the other and that keeps it dry inside.
If it's not dry, mold will grow in there.  I wrapped some
strips of packing foam around the cables where they emerge.
That keeps moist, cold air from coming into the shack at one end and
the remote junction box at the other.

Hope that helps.

73,
Charlie, N0TT