[TowerTalk] OH8X 80-160 monster tower collapses

Roger D Johnson n1rj at roadrunner.com
Tue Dec 10 11:54:14 EST 2013

This reminds me of a story I heard when I was stationed at the CG LORAN station
in Sylt,
Germany. The Norwegians manned a LORAN station on the island of Jan Mayen which
had a 625ft tower as transmitting antenna. This antenna had stood for many years
with-
standing everything the Arctic weather could throw at it. Then one Summer a new
engineer
was sent to do the annual tower inspection. He determined that the guy tension
was too
high and ordered it reduced. Needless to say, that Winter the tower iced up and
came down!

Engineers can get it wrong too!

73, Roger

On 12/9/2013 1:30 PM, Kelly Taylor wrote:
> I offer my condolences to Radio Arcala, but I have a question about that
> explanation: shouldn't the engineering of the tower system have accounted
> for the possible failure of a windload-mitigation system?
>
> Does anyone know: was it insured?
>

> 73, kelly
> ve4xt
>

> On 12/9/13 11:43 AM, "Larry Menzel"<pensionguy at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> A sad day in Finland, the fantastic, now doomed, 330ft monster tower for 80
>> and 160 had a catastrophic failure during a high wind storm in September.
>> Apparently the engineering spec called for an automated feature to turn the
>> massive array for minimum windload failed, allowing the whole structure to
>> "corkscrew" and collapse on itself.
>>
>> Here's a link: http://dx-world.net/2013/oh8x-tower-collapse/
>>
>> Larry, W0PR

Remember the Liberty (AGTR-5)