[TowerTalk] OH8X 80-160 monster tower collapses

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Wed Dec 11 09:20:35 EST 2013

Duty at Minot, Loring, Thule, etc. gave a whole new meaning to "Cold
Warrior!"

At Minot AFB the lowest temp I was out in was -47F, not wind chill, straight
thermometer. Minus 40 was routine.  Wind chill was reported on the base's
dial up weather report as the time on average it took for exposed flesh to
freeze.  They reported this down to 10 seconds and then just reported it as
less than 10 seconds.  One of our hi-pri considerations was NOT exposing
flesh.

After leaving the USAF and heading south as far as I could go and not leave
the country I went to San Diego State University and during a real cold snap
there was a very light snow, just a few small flakes.  Everyone in my
calculus class including the instructor, EXCEPT ME ran to the window in awe
to see show.  Having just left a 3 winter tour in Minot I was not impressed.

Patrick NJ5G