[TowerTalk] Andrew 45 J 7/8 hardline connector

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Thu Dec 12 21:16:22 EST 2013

On 12/12/2013 6:30 PM, Ray Benny wrote:

> I have a piece of Andrew 7/8" hardline with an Andrew 45J connector on the
> end of it. I am not familiar with this connector. What type of connector is
> it? And what type of connector would I need to connect it to a piece of
> RG8/213 type coax?
>
> It looks as though it is mechanically the same as an Andrew L45W which is
> an 'N' type connector. Could I just unscrew the main body of the 45J and
> replace it with the L45W body? Guess I could unscrew the 45J and find out,
> unless someone knows.
>
> I'm now wondering if this is a 'DIN' connector?

I'm not familiar with a 45J. Andrew connectors with a "45" are usually
for either 5/8" Heliax or special splice connectors for 7/8".

If it's brass colored, it's an old series connector and definitely not a
7-16 DIN.

As far as interfacing to RG-213, it would depend on what connector you
had on the RG-213 of course.

The least expensive and simplest solution is to obtain N connectors for
both cable types.

Assuming your 7/8" is LDF5-50A, the (easily available and cheap)
connectors would be L5TNF or L5PNF (N female) and any old N male for the
RG213 3/8" braided cable.

-Steve K8LX