[TowerTalk] OWA Inventor?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 13 01:48:11 EST 2013

http://www.naic.edu/~angel/kp4ao/ham/owa.html

describes the underlying concept from W3FET -> use a fat element as the
driven element: fatter elements have increased bandwidth, but have
higher feedpoint impedance.  But in a Yagi, the feedpoint impedance is
low (because of the coupling to the other elements, mostly.. it's sort
of a "parallel resistor" thing)

So, if you used a fat driven element, you get the combination of wider
bandwidth AND a feedpoint impedance that is closer to 50 ohms.

It's well known that putting another element close (<0.1 lambda) to a
dipole is electrically very similar to a fat element, and there you have it.