[TowerTalk] RG-149: 50 ohm/70 ohm - does it matter?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 14 09:09:45 EST 2013

On 12/13/13 10:55 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

  4) The major issue with SWR at the
> transmitter is giving the transmitter a load that it is "happy" with.
> "Happy" means that it supplies full rated power, AND is CLEAN.
> Distortion rises when an amp is mismatched to its load and if it's not
> carefully tuned. Distortion = SPLATTER. That's why God made antenna tuners.

I'm not sure this is true in general. What is the mechanism for the
increase in distortion?

Yes, if you adjust knobs to get 1 kW into 100 ohms from an amplifier
designed to get 1kW into 50 ohms, you're probably going to be clipping,
because you need more voltage for the same power.  But is that a
realistic scenario? Do people adjust their amplifiers this way (or are
they even adjustable.. most SS amps basically a "power brick")

Is that what you mean by "not carefully tuned"?  But is that not also
the case for 50 ohm resistive loads?  If I mistune the amplifier it's
going to perform non-optimally, regardless of the load Z

Devices operated in Class C will have different harmonic content
depending on the load impedance.  For instance, some L-band bipolar
transistors have significantly different 2nd and 3rd harmonic output
depending on the load Z, but that's more of a interaction between the
parasitics of the device and the external tuning components, so you
basically are "retuning a filter".