[TowerTalk] RG-149: 50 ohm/70 ohm - does it matter?

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sat Dec 14 13:32:30 EST 2013

"The round trip matched and mismatch loss here is much
too high and in this case -- we can truly say that the tuner is "just making
the transmitter happy," or nearly so.  We have a whopping 12 dB of
systematic loss.  Power dissipated at the load is only 6 watts."

Clarification on my statement above:  Yes, in instances of high system loss,
the tuner is providing a condition where the "transmitter is happy," [God, I
hate that term] but the tuner is also providing a secondary benefit in that
maximum power is transferred into the line despite high system loss.  I
thought it was obvious, maybe it wasn't.

Paul, W9AC