[TowerTalk] 80 meter stub

Tom Osborne w7why at frontier.com
Sun Dec 15 13:05:40 EST 2013

On 12/15/2013 2:07 AM, Stan Stockton wrote:
> Tom,
>
> I assume this is a shorted quarter wave stub?  Not sure what you are using
> to test if your analyzer died, but if it were me I would run your rig into
> a decent watt meter (W4, etc) and then from the watt meter to a dummy load
> with a T connector on the dummy load so you can put that stub in parallel
> with the dummy load.  If you have the stub open it will be 6 half
> wavelengths long on 15m and the tuning will not be as broad.  So check the
> dummy load without the stub attached and see what you have on 15m (21.360
> is 3560 x 6) - hopefully no reflected power.  Then connect the stub with
> the end OPEN and trim it until you have the same reflected power with and
> without the stub.  When you have no reflected power with the stub open at
> 21.360, you should have a quarter wave stub that you can short to work on
> 3.560.
>
> You were loud when you called me on 10m yesterday.
>
> Stan, K5GO

HI Stan

Thanks for the Q on 10 yesterday.

I did a real boo-boo with the analyzer!  I was testing some antennas and
wanted to check it with the transmitter.  I connected the end of the
coax to the transmitter and keyed it up and then I found I was connected
to my MFJ-259 instead of the antenna.  I guess they aren't built to take
100 watts into them :-)

Yes, it is an open stub for 80.  I'll give it a try with the watt meter
later on today.  Thanks and 73
Tom W7WHY