[TowerTalk] Wasp, etc. stings

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Feb 4 12:15:30 EST 2013

On 2/4/2013 11:09 AM, K7LXC at aol.com wrote:
> Howdy, TowerTalkians --
>
>      Speaking of flying stinging things, the best tip is  when you get stung
> - put some Adolph's Meat Tenderizer on it. The pain will  subside in 30
> seconds or so. There is some sort of enzyme in it that does the  job. It works!
> Or like our fellow TowerTalkian Mark, AA6DX would say -  "Worky, worky!"

Yup, the stuff is great.  Some years back I developed an allergy (severe
reaction) to Black fly bites and Bee stings.

The Allergist told me to always carry a small packet of Adolph's meat
tenderizer and to put it on any bite or sting immediately.  It worked
like a miracle. Just wet the area with water or lick it and apply the
powder.  I just carried about a half spoon full in a small zip-lock bag
in my billfold.

If I could apply it within a few seconds there not only was no swelling
and not even a red mark. The pain was gone almost immediately.

If I took the minute or two to go in the house to apply the powder I
would end up with substantial swelling and pain.

Any longer than 10 seconds or so before application and there would be
swelling.  Naturally, the longer the wait, the more severe the reaction.

Black flies were worse than the Wasps for pain and swelling.

Allergies are strange.  Bee stings had never bothered me other than
being uncomfortable. Black Flies had been no bother and then one day I
started reacting to them.

The doc added the venom to my allergy shots. Within two years they no
longer bothered  me again.  The Doc  said that allergies tend to come
and go, with no visible reason.

73

Roger (K8RI)