[TowerTalk] 15m monster finally up - EME and Video

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Tue Feb 5 12:09:51 EST 2013

Hi Tonno, very impressive results!

You may not be aware of the galactic noise arriving from various sources in
 the heavens. The amplitude of these noise sources vary quite a bit from
day to  day as the moon follows its' orbit around the earth. When the moon is
in the  direction of the milky way, the noise level can be 10 or more dB
stronger,  depending on the antenna beamwidth. Smaller beamwidths tend to show
higher noise  levels. Typical hf antenna beamwidths are great enough that
the higher noise  level is not noticeable.

Your antenna has a low enough beamwidth that the effect will be very
noticeable.

There is typically one or two days during each 27.3 day lunar cycle that
the moon is front of relatively low galactic noise. The next date for the
minimum noise is February 24 from 1430 to 1530z on your moon rise when
elevation  falls between 1 and 5 degrees and again on your moonset February 25 0330
to 0430  when your elevation falls between 8 and 1 degrees.

Your ground gain peaks will be extremely important as they will provide
upwards of 5dB gain on both transmit and receive; as much as 10dB total.

There are other effects as well: one is Faraday rotation that rotates the
received echo return polarization which causes as much as 20 dB or more
signal  loss for a few minutes at a time. The rotation speed on 6m is typically
5  minutes and much faster as frequency d=goes down. Another effect is
libration  fading which is caused by echoes reflected from various parts of the
rough  surface of the moon being received out of phase and partially
canceling. The  nulls are typically 15 dB down. There are periods that the echo
reflections are  more in phase and there will be signal peaks on the order of
5dB above  average.

The libration effects are slowest near moon rise and moon set. There may be
 periods of several minutes of signal enhancement or degradation at your
relatively low frequency.

When you add up all the plus and minuses the results at any given time will
 vary from dismal to outstanding.

There is nothing you can do to change any of this but being aware will help
 understand what is happening.

73,
Gerald K5GW
currently active on eme bands from 6m to 3cm

In a message dated 2/5/2013 5:49:45 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,