[TowerTalk] phased butternuts near saltwater for multiband operation?

krishna kanakasapapathi kkanakas at cisco.com
Tue Feb 5 17:27:42 EST 2013

Hi all,
  I would like to use  a multiband vertical like the butternut HF9V in a
phased manner
  near a saltwater location. The use will be for 80m thru 10m.

  I have seen the F12 SVDA etc, but individual verticals are out due to
weight being
  a factor. I would like to switch bands with ease. I am OK with manual
intervention, when
  switching between say 80m cw to ssb or vice-versa. However, would like
to jump between
  say 40-10m with ease.

  I normally rely on a 2ele steppir with 40m trombone for higher bands.
However, if a couple of
  butternuts with some phasing network will do an excellent job, i am
open to trying.
  Esp, since the saltwater will do wonders with the vertical and also in
case the logistics at the location
prevents raising/securing the 2ele steppir on a mast.

I understand that there will be no one size fits all spacing due to the
multi-band requirement.
However, a magic optimal will be nice.

This is one product i  came across -
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/2elmultibandverticals.htm

However, if there are limitations and if i need to build a custom box to
support all the bands, then  please let me
know your thoughts. Willing to try, since i have some time to put it all
together and test.

73s
krish
w4vku