[TowerTalk] 80m How to feed?

Marc R Tessier - VE3TES ve3tes at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 12:14:43 EST 2013

I am looking into the possibilities of installing an 80M sloper here at my shack, only area of concern I have is the feed point, I have a few questions I am not sure about how to over come them...

They are, Am I correct in thinking the radiating elements are the 2 lower wires and not the longest one from the top of the tower?

And also what balun is best to feed the antenna with, I already have a remote switcher on the tower and a run of LMR-400 from it to the shack, so I prefer to run that coax line opposed to using ladder line.
I am not liking the idea of an open length of coax sealed by silicone sealant, tape and hose clamps. Can a 1:1 be used in this installation? Or is there a better ratio for a balun to be used in this application?...

My tower is 48 feet in length so I will be using the measurements used by K0EOU on page 4-17 in the ARRL Antenna handbook I have.

I have a scanned copy available to anyone interested in helping me out, I am sure they don't allow attachments here on this BB.

Looking forward to any and all suggestions...

Thank you in advance for taking the time out to read my plea for help.

Regards,

Marc Tessier - VE3TES