[TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing, etc: more answers from UST calcs

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sat Feb 9 11:21:38 EST 2013

Jim,

With regard to your comments below, are you assuming laminar or
turbulent flow? I just grabbed my copy of Leeson's "Physical Design of
Yagi Antennas" and he discusses this same issue of a rapid change in
drag coefficient for wind speeds and tubing diameters of practical
interest to antenna builders for the case of turbulent flow. He then
states "conservative design, however, dictates a less aggressive
choice", referring to the choice between assuming turbulent flow or
laminar flow when doing these sorts of design calculations (for laminar
flow this transition from ~constant drag coefficient to rapidly changing
drag coefficient occurs at much higher wind speeds). UBC and EIA-222 (at
least the versions that were current when his book was published) both
appear to assume laminar flow.

Leeson presents calculations from both UBC and EIA-222 formulas both of
which show an ~0.6 ratio between cylindrical member and flat-plate
member drag coefficients.