[TowerTalk] Station interference Stubs

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Feb 12 22:40:21 EST 2013

On 2/12/2013 5:24 PM, ai2n at twcny.rr.com wrote:
> I have some Belden 8213 (RG-11, fairly low loss 75 ohm).  Could this coax be used for stubs in a 50 ohm system?

Yes, BUT -- one of the points I tried make in the tutorial on coax and
stubs is that the higher velocity factor makes the stub longer, which
cancels out the lower loss of the coax.

8213 is VERY good coax though.  I use it to feed my high 80/40 fan
dipoles (at 110 ft).  And I used SimSmith and NEC to decide whether to
use 8213 or a low loss 50 ohm coax. Part of that equation is height --
the impedance of most antennas vary with height, as well as the length
of the line -- since any dipole is mismatched at some frequencies, we
can choose the line impedance and its length to provide a good match.

73, Jim K9YC