[TowerTalk] 75 ohm - v - 50 ohm coax

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Feb 19 09:21:28 EST 2013

Another point with respect to loss in that coax. Because its diameter
is quite large, loss is MUCH lower than the RG8-size coax we usually
use. It is also lower because the loss in ANY coax at HF is I-squared R
loss in the copper, and the current in 75 ohm coax is proportionally
less for the same power level.

73, Jim K9YC

##  say what ?   What about skin effect at HF ?
.875” heliax uses a  hollow cu tube.  If it was solid CU center
conductor, loss’s would NOT decrease.

##  Fine for your to recommend  the use of 1” 75 ohm coax for a high dipole,
but do you have any clue how heavy that is gonna be ????   Never mind
the  “balun” at the feedpoint.

Lets get practical for once.

Jim  VE7RF