[TowerTalk] EZNEC antenna modeling forum has been created onYahoo

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Feb 25 13:05:39 EST 2013

On 2/25/2013 8:08 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:

> The Cartesian coordinate method of establishing an antenna environment
> is not needed to understand antenna concepts, but at the moment, it's
> needed to understand NEC modeling.  It's only an input method used to
> compute distances.  There's no reason why those coordinates could not
> be generated quickly in an algorithm within a wizard application.

Gee -- I learned XYZ coordinates in high school in West Virginia 55
years ago. Is our educational system so bad that it's lo longer being
taught?

The doc for EZNEC does not teach antenna theory. It assumes that the
user has already done that from standard textbooks.  A limited version
of EZNEC comes on the CD with the ARRL Antenna Book, along with a dozen
or so example antennas, and there's a short tutorial to go along with
them.  That simple version of EZNEC is entirely adequate for the study
of simple antennas and modeling. If you want to model more complex
antennas, you need a more capable version, and those versions are not free.

I've chatted briefly a few times with W7EL at Dayton, and while he seems
to be a nice guy, he seems to have zero interest in adding any new
features to EZNEC.

73, Jim K9YC