[TowerTalk] Wire lubricant for cable pull thru conduit

Charles Lind cxl24 at case.edu
Mon Feb 25 17:57:20 EST 2013

I had the problem of getting rotor and control cables 400 feet to the
tower.  Rather than use cables at all, I use Green Heron Everywhere to
control all rotor and switching functions from the house to the base of the
tower.  Only the hardline needs to be buried, and no provision for extra
cables is needed in a conduit run.  This requires putting a waterproof box
with 120 volts and a small 12 volt supply on a post by the tower: the 120 V
comes 75 feet from a barn.  I know it sounds odd to put a rotor controller
out in a box subject to the heat and cold, but it has been there three
years without a hitch.  The GHE remote unit controls the Array Solutions
switches as well as the GH RT-21.  The only time i saw the signal strength
fall was when the hay in the pasture grew up over the grey box!!  Nothing
that a mower couldn't cure......and the gophers can't chew what isn't there
in the ground!
Chuck, N8CL