[TowerTalk] Water in buried conduit

Bill Ogden ogden at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 26 09:05:24 EST 2013

You will have water in the conduit. I had my sections well glued, the exit
points turned downward, etc, etc.  A year later I pulled a rag through and
it was soaking wet.  (Didn't seem to hurt the coax or control cables.) My
initial conduit was too small (and too wet).  I replaced it with 4"
sections and drilled bottom 1/4" holes somewhat randomly and especially at
low spots. Set the conduit on a little gravel/stone/etc.  Mine seems
reasonably dry now, with just a hint of moisture on a rag.

Be certain to critter proof the conduit openings.  I simply stuffed a few
rags in the first time. Chipmunks removed the rags and built a nest way
inside.  They then removed the insulation from control wires, shorting
them, and even removed a little buryflex insulation and braid -- enough to
ruin that part of the cable.

Bill
W2WO